Sunday, February 10, 2008

Interview Articles

Since I am graduating in May, I have begun to interview with a number of veterinary schools and potential employers. It is important to be well prepared both mentally and physically for all interviews. The articles from the website we viewed this week for our blog all have great tips on preparing yourself for the interview process.
The first article I read was titled "How to deal with interview stress," written by Caroline Levchuck. The article contained a number of great tips on preparing yourself for an interview so you are not so nervous or worried. It is important to appear calm and collected as well as confident while on an interview. The only way to do this is to not be stressed or nervous before and during an interview. The interviewer will pick up on your stress and nervousness. It is important to show up early so you have time to collect your thoughts and relax. The more time you allow yourself to relax, the less nervous and stressed you will be. Before my interview at Tuskegee Veterinary school last week, I was very nervous. I had to collect my thoughts and relax before I want in and assure myself that everything would be fine. I remembered how I felt this past summer when I was interviewing potential employees at the veterinary clinic that I was manager at. I could tell how nervous some people were so I wanted to make sure that my interviewer at Tuskegee would not see my nervousness.
The second article I read was "Four Questions to ask a Potential Manager," which was also written by Caroline Levchuck. This was also a very good article to read before an interview. When I was interviewing potential employees at the veterinary clinic, I always thought more of a person when they asked me questions. It showed me they were serious about the job and had actually put some thought into the job and what duties it would entail. At the end of my veterinary interview last week, the last question they asked me was if I had any questions. Luckily I had thought of a few questions to ask so they could tell how serious I was not only about veterinary school in general, but in Tuskegee's veterinary program specifically.
Both articles were very informative and well written and they provided good advice to anyone interviewing for a position some where, no matter how old they are and how many interviews they have done previously.

No comments: