Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I survived the Savannah Blackout 08'

So, I went to Savannah for spring break this year with a bunch of friends, I needed to unwind before going home after a rough few weeks. I needed some time to think and ponder my life away from the pressures of home and Savannah was the perfect place to do it. During the day, we would spend our time on Tybee Island lounging by the pool or on the beach and at night we would hang out and celebrate St. Patrick's Day on River Street in downtown Savannah. On Saturday night around 11:30pm, we had already been enjoying ourselves for a number of hours when my brother called to warn me that we had a tornado near our house in Charleston and that the weather was heading our way. At that point, I wasn't too concerned about much. Then the wind started to pick up and the next thing I knew, all the power in the entire city went out. It was mass chaos. Everyone was screaming and yelling, people started looting and breaking into cars, cops were running all around us and in the middle of all the mayhem, someone swiped my friend Kaity's wallet, with her car key in it to our ride back to the hotel. So after about an hour of trying to find our way through the chaos, we finally found the car in the parking garage we left it in. We called triple A and they told us it was too dangerous for them to come into the city and we would have to wait until the morning to get the spare key. So we figured we would wait in the parking garage because we were somewhat sheltered from the mayhem until our other friends could get back from the condo and get us. After about 45 mins, the parking garage kicked us out and told us we could not stay there. So we started to head for a safe location while people were breaking into cars and stuff when our friends called and said the city was blockaded and we would have to walk to meet them at the blockade, which was only about a mile away, but the city was pitch black and it started to rain. Finally we decided to go for it when a guy came running at us and told us to run bc everyone walking up ahead was getting robbed, so we turned the other way and ran. Then we found a large group of people and followed closely to them and finally made it to our friends at the blockade and safely back to our condo. It was the most sketchy situation of my life and I lived in NY for eight years.

No comments: